Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I'm grounded (not really, but sort of)

Samsung RF411 as Paperweight

Since last September my Samsung RF411 has been inflicted by frequent BSOD. The prime culprit was Canon driver - the only changes in months. After performing System Restore prior to installation I didn't get BSOD anymore.
After installing .Net framework 4, I was greeted by another BSOD. I performed another system restore (prior to .Net framework 4 installation) and I could use it again.

Late November the BSOD repeated its regular visits. At this point, I didn't think another system restore could resolve my problem.
Analyzing the minidumps (using WinDbg) points to NVIDIA driver, thus I proceed to uninstall NVIDIA driver. But even after that BSOD persisted.
I could circumvent BSOD by going to safe mode (with networking) every time, but somehow I occasionally missed the chance even though I've rapped on the F8 button frequently. My irritation was multiplied by BSOD that sometimes greet me during start up process. Before you comment, yes I've turned off Driver Verifier that actively triggering BSOD.

I forgot who gave me the idea, but I decided to try updating my BIOS via Samsung SW Update; which gave me corrupted BIOS - it couldn't boot. Again, I could circumvent this by inserting a bootable disc and sticking a bootable usb and not pressing any key when asked. But this gives me no chance to hit F8 to go to safe mode, and the BSOD is lurking around.
Today, 29 Jan 2014 I tried to chat with Samsung support on ways to rectify the BIOS issue and got the generic answer: hit F4 for Samsung Recovery. I had my doubt, but I decided to give it a try anyway:

  • Restart
  • Press F4
  • See a prompt "Please Wait..."
  • Keep the machine on for an hour with nothing happening.
  • Turn it off.

Now every time I turn it on, I just see Samsung logo and "Please Wait..." plea. Yay.
Lesson learned: Whenever you hit a problem in Windows, remember the golden rule: don't bother troubleshoot - re-install!.

ACER D255 to Decommissioned?

Due to RF411 issue, I've been using my mom's netbook. I picked Windows SDK for development because it's comparatively light-weight -- coding in notepad, compiling in command prompt. However, using Visual C++ 2010 as the compiler means that my application depends on .Net framework 4.0.
Thus I made the switch to Qt. It's a behemoth for the tiny netbook; the system often gets unresponsive with very heavy disc activities. It has auto-shutdown twice now, and I think it was cue for me to stop.

DELL D410 to the Rescue?

I still have this old laptop that despite its age is more powerful than D255. Yet, after over 7 years of usage it has a unique flaw: after extended period of heavy usage, it would complained loudly (translation: after 30 minutes of playing facebook flash game, a loud sound would be heard).
I can try re-installing Windows while crossing my finger, hoping that the source of groaning is over-burdened OS rather than wear and tear of the components. Either that or...

I Should Try to Revive The Best One

Found a thread of Samsung BIOS Update Issues. I'll read through the 15 pages and if I find no confidence to proceed myself (which is very likely) I'll post a question there.

No comments:

Post a Comment